USB Flash memory Disk not present on reboot

Scott Talbot talbotscott at cox.net
Thu Jul 14 01:09:59 UTC 2005

Barry Scott wrote:

> After FC4 is up and running I can insert a USB Flash memory disk and
> the device
> show up and can be mounted.
>
> But If I power up the Epia M10000 machine with the USB memory disk
> inserted
> the device does not show up.
>
> Further lsusb does not show the USB device in its output. If I remove
> and reinsert
> lsusb shows the USB device and /dev devices show up.
>
> What is the trick to get FC4 to find the USB memory disk?
>
> Barry

    This was probably a fluke, but I had the same problem in Rawhide.  I
tried everything logical, and had just about given up.  One day (not
really sure why) I increased the time grub delayed booting to 10 (5 was
default), I also commented out the hiddenmenu.  From that day to this
the usb flash drive has mounted every single time.

    I can think of no reason why this should have done anything, unless
some fluke of a collision between grub and the usb code, but I ain't
gonna mess with it either!

Scott