I've done something Stupid. Help ??

Jeff Vian jvian10 at charter.net
Thu Jul 14 01:36:42 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-07-13 at 18:40 -0600, kevin.kempter at dataintellect.com
wrote:
> On Wednesday 13 July 2005 16:41, Michael Schwendt wrote:
> > On Wed, 13 Jul 2005 17:44:13 -0400, Matthew Miller wrote:
> > >
> > > Try "yum remove rhn-applet" first.
> >
> > Why? It looks a lot like one of the packages to be upgraded will
> > install an incompatible version of rpm-python. That should not happen
> > with FC3 and official updates.
> >
> > --
> > Michael Schwendt <mschwendt at users.sf.net>
> > Fedora Core release 5 (Development) - Linux 2.6.12-1.1432_FC5
> > loadavg: 1.24 1.33 1.48
>
> Based on the above posts I ran :
> yum remove rhn-applet
>
> then I ran:
>  yum update
>
> and finally I ran:
> yum install rhn-applet
>
> Unfortunately  I think that this comment was a good point but I had already
> run the commands:
> > Why? It looks a lot like one of the packages to be upgraded will
> > install an incompatible version of rpm-python. That should not happen
> > with FC3 and official updates.
>
> So, now when I try and run yum update I get this:
>
> root at Issac # yum update
> The yum libraries do not seem to be available on your system for this version
> of python  2.3.4 (#1, Feb  2 2005, 12:11:53)
> [GCC 3.4.2 20041017 (Red Hat 3.4.2-6.fc3)]
> Please make sure the package you used to install yum was built for your
> install of python.
>
> Any chance I can fix it, or is it time to move to FC4 ?

What repos do you have enabled?  The official base and updates repos
have never broken any dependencies for me.  However, some of the
packages at livna and/or atrpms have done so if I inadvertently leave
them enabled at all times.  That has to do with the package naming that
is/can be different among the different repos and yum may pick one that
breaks something else.