Newbie: Where are "console" messages written to? FC2 2.6.5

Clive at Rational clive at rational-communications.com
Thu Jul 14 09:50:26 UTC 2005

Benjamin wrote
**************************

Hello,

can it be that you had a wrong capitalization in your
search ?
What is the result of a 'grep -i -R "kernel panic"
/var/log/*' ?
Also try some other sequence you have seen instead of
"kernel panic".
They must be somewhere in /var/log ;-)
You also have to be root to view these files.

__________________________
Benjamin Duehring, FORWISS|
***************************************
Benjamin

Thanks for the suggestion and quick response.

I ran the grep command as you suggested - with
variations on the "kernel panic" text - and I found no
log records that contained any of the messages that
had appeared on the console. Maybe none of these
messages are written to a log file ???

IF true, seems difficult to diagnose such problems.

Regards

Clive