I've done something Stupid. Help ??

Axel Thimm Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net
Thu Jul 14 12:45:42 UTC 2005

On Wed, Jul 13, 2005 at 09:38:59PM -0400, Matthew Miller wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 13, 2005 at 09:26:15PM -0400, Matthew Miller wrote:
> > > The yum libraries do not seem to be available on your system for this version
> > > of python  2.3.4 (#1, Feb  2 2005, 12:11:53)
> > > [GCC 3.4.2 20041017 (Red Hat 3.4.2-6.fc3)]
> > > Please make sure the package you used to install yum was built for your
> > > install of python.
> > > Any chance I can fix it, or is it time to move to FC4 ?
> [...]
> >   A. This error message is often misleading. To see the real error, run
>
> Hmmm -- as Michael Schwendt points out, you seem to have the ATrpms version
> of Python on your system. ATrpms actually packages up Python 2.4 and
> includes packages built against that, and that could mean that the python
> version mismatch error is actually exactly correct in this case.

I don't think so. python24 is only packaged for <= FC4, is
independently installable with the system python and ATrpms packages
built against python24 are using proper dependencies and python
calls. Furthermore python24 bits were packaged and published almost 9
months ago.

Of course, if you --nodeps --force your installs anything can
happen. The error above looks more like the main "python" rpm itself
having been upgraded, something ATrpms does not do (or should not,
ATrpms didn't yet invent the bug-free repo :).

> ATrpms is a little more adventurous than many of the third-party
> repositories, and in some ways can be thought of as an extra-bleeding-edge
> fork of Fedora.

A "fork of Fedora" ... ?
No, ATrpms is not forking fedora. If patched/upgraded packages are
offered than this has a proper cause. Life is too short to reinvent wheels.

And on adventurous: ATrpms does have three stability classes (formerly
even 5) for you to choose the level of adventure. Yes, you can have
extra-bleeding-edge in a section called "bleeding". If you enable this
you know what to expect, just like switching to rawhide.

Unfortunately this happen quite often with ATrpms as indeed some
desired new bits are lurking in bleeding or testing.