fc2->fc4 upgrade with software RAID

Jack Howarth howarth at bromo.msbb.uc.edu
Thu Jul 14 13:31:08 UTC 2005

Paul,
   Thanks for the information. A couple of other questions though. I haven't
done an upgrade install before over a previous Fedora or RedHat release.
How does the installer handle conflicting rpms (that is rpms with overlapping
files like fglrx that need to be installed with --replacefiles)? I plan
on deinstalling the fglrx rpm and resetting the X to use the stock radeon
driver before the installation. However I am concerned that there could
be another rpm hidden like that one with overlapping files. Does anaconda
handle such situations gracefully?
    The second question is what are my options if the upgrade goes badly.
I have a /home md partition so I figured I would do a clean install using
the previous /, /boot, /var and /home partitions but not formatting the
/home partition for the clean installation. I am unclear however if
the normal install (non-upgrade) method will recognize the md partitions
the same way as the upgrade install or will it likely only see the
partitions of each drive of the RAID-1 individually?
            Jack