Java on fc4

Temlakos temlakos at gmail.com
Thu Jul 14 13:56:26 UTC 2005

Mlists wrote:
> Has anyone got java to work with either javaws or firefox on fc4 yet ?

Java, definitely yes. I used Michael Peters' "nosrc.rpm" packages, in a
"secure rpmbuild environment" (basically a user account dedicated to rpm
building), to build several rpm packages from Sun's binary
self-extracting source package. I then installed the JRE and J-SDK on my
system. I then installed a handy Java-based text editor--couldn't be
happier with it. And compiling with Java is so simple that I don't yet
see a need for an Integrated Development Environment. (If anyone can
tell me how to use Eclipse for that purpose, or show me where I can get
some tutorial and other help, please share.) I am now using the J-SDK to
develop a major Java application--or rather, "port" it from native C++
and wxWidgets. Already I find Java, Swing, and JDBC to be /far/ more
powerful than their C++ equivalents.

But Java Web Start is a hopeless case. Every time I try to start
anything with Java Web Start, it just starts opening window after window
on Firefox until I forcibly stop it.

Java Web Start is /supposed/ to be installed with the JRE. But on my
system, using Firefox, it is not working. (Then again, I can't use
JavaWS on Windows XP SP2, either--I suspect that this is a security
issue, and therefore I'm not even sure that having JavaWS on your system
is very smart!)

Temlakos