I've done something Stupid. Help ??

Michael Schwendt mschwendt.tmp0501.nospam at arcor.de
Thu Jul 14 14:07:39 UTC 2005

On Wed, 13 Jul 2005 21:38:59 -0400, Matthew Miller wrote:

> On Wed, Jul 13, 2005 at 09:26:15PM -0400, Matthew Miller wrote:
> > > The yum libraries do not seem to be available on your system for this version
> > > of python  2.3.4 (#1, Feb  2 2005, 12:11:53)
> > > [GCC 3.4.2 20041017 (Red Hat 3.4.2-6.fc3)]
> > > Please make sure the package you used to install yum was built for your
> > > install of python.
> > > Any chance I can fix it, or is it time to move to FC4 ?
> [...]
> >   A. This error message is often misleading. To see the real error, run
>
> Hmmm -- as Michael Schwendt points out, you seem to have the ATrpms version
> of Python on your system. ATrpms actually packages up Python 2.4 and
> includes packages built against that, and that could mean that the python
> version mismatch error is actually exactly correct in this case.

Just for the record, I did not claim anything specifically with regard
to ATrpms. It's just that if a dependency is reported as broken in Yum's
transaction check, this indicates that a new package _to be installed_ or
_to be updated_ is very likely the culprit. As I don't have the time
to examine this in detail, just a few observations:

 * FC3 system

 * FC3's rpm-python-4.3.2-21.i386.rpm includes
   /usr/lib/python2.3/site-packages/rpmmodule.so

 * that rpmmodule.so path is required by rhn-applet

 * yum transaction error report refers to:
   rpm-python-4.4.1-21_46.rhfc3.at
   which includes
   /usr/lib/python2.3/site-packages/rpm/_rpmmodule.so

That's a different file name. So, if this updates FC3's rpm-python
package, something must also update rhn-applet. ATrpms provides an
update for rhn-applet, which assumedly depends on the upgraded rpm
version [above]. So, check which version of rhn-applet you have
installed right now. If it's incompatible (too new, for instance),
your update attempt does not see ATrpms' rhn-applet package. Hence the
broken deps. Verify this. The difference between FC3's rpm-python and
the unofficial rpm-python upgrade is reason enough to be very careful.

--
Michael Schwendt <mschwendt at users.sf.net>
Fedora Core release 5 (Development) - Linux 2.6.12-1.1432_FC5