WARNING:DO NOT UPGRADE TO CORE 4

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Thu Jul 14 15:08:50 UTC 2005

On Thursday 14 July 2005 09:11, Ralf Corsepius wrote:
>On Thu, 2005-07-14 at 14:20 +0200, Emmanuel Seyman wrote:
>> On Thu, Jul 14, 2005 at 01:37:55PM +0200, Ralf Corsepius wrote:
>> > Unfortunately, recovering from such kind of breakage is
>> > non-trivial and often impossible ...
>>
>> Is it? The repairdb page on rpm.org has always worked for me.
>> http://www.rpm.org/hintskinks/repairdb/
>
>If you're lucky you can get away with it.
>
>If you're even more lucky, the fix is to remove all gpg-key*'s from
> the db, the run rpm --rebuilddb and to re-import the gpg-keys
> (There had been a time when rpm screwed up badly on gpg-keys, some
> user might have inherited this problem from this time.)

Yeah, but this is a fresh install, no (theoreticaly) leftovers

>If you're even yet more lucky, an "rpm --rebuilddb" helps.

But in rescue mode /var/lib doesn't even exist.  So an rpm -vv
--rebuilddb cannot create its scratch files on a hardcoded /var/lib/

>If you're less lucky, your rpmdb is hosed in unrecoverable ways.
>
>And if all goes wrong the file system or the hard disk underneath
> are damaged.

With all fingers pointing at yum, the system was fine till then.

>Except of the HW-failure case, I've seen all cases happening.
>
>Ralf

I don't believe the disk is failing, I previously had smartd running
on both disks with no problems.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)