WARNING:DO NOT UPGRADE TO CORE 4

Timothy Murphy tim at birdsnest.maths.tcd.ie
Thu Jul 14 15:54:56 UTC 2005

Gene Heskett wrote:

> FC4 looked pretty good, till I turned yum loose to update it, useing
> only the contents of /etc/yum.repo.d as just installed.  And yum
> proved once more that it exists only to commit hari-kari.  Only this
> time it took the whole, freshly installed & apparently 100% working,
> system down with it.

Sorry to be sceptical,
but I'm not convinced there is anything wrong with yum.

I don't know how others read it, but to me
you seem to have your own way of doing everything,
and appear to be willing to re-install yet again at the drop of a hat
without trying to work out what went wrong.

Eg you said that "FC4 looked pretty good",
but you also said you had apparently insoluble problems with X.
So which is it?
Was FC4 working OK until you said "yum update"?

I must say I have never had a problem
where yum did something it should not have done,
though I've had several problems where it refused to update,
the error in most cases turning out to be mine,
though sometimes there were problems at the repositories.
[I'm not entirely sure if the default repositories,
as installed by FC-4, _are_ correct.]

>From my experience, you need to be sure
that no non-standard repositories (such as livna, dag, fedora-devel,
fedora-updates-testing, etc) are enabled.
And it may be worth seeing that /etc/fedora-release does say
"Fedora Core 4".

--
Timothy Murphy
tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366