Forced FSCK on Bad Reboot

Jonathan Jefferies jjefferies at gracenote.com
Thu Jul 14 17:25:57 UTC 2005

Mike McCarty wrote:

> Frankly, I'd rather use write-through.

I believe there are three modes that ext3 can be setup to do journelling
one of which may be write through. Believe those modes are set at
fdisk time.

> In any case, I don't see any argument for not using an extended fsck on
> a reboot after improper shutdown, which was my original question.

Uh, on a megabyte or  10 - 30 GIG  hard drive it's a minor inconvenienc.
Running
fsck on a 250 GIG hard drive or worse a system which has terra byte systems
is something else. Can you say major delays?

J.