fc4 - yum

Paul Howarth paul at city-fan.org
Thu Jul 14 17:33:06 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2005-07-14 at 11:43 -0300, Ted Gervais wrote:
> I  just installed fc4 over fc3 and it went well. But now I am wondering
> about updating it as time goes by.
> It seems to me that I had to edit the yum.conf or apt.conf files to have
> the update request go to fc3 files before.
> So it makes sense that maybe I have to edit those files again for the
> process to go to fc4 updates??
>
> Does that make sense.  Also, I believe that an upgrade to another fedora
> release produces or places new configuration files for YUM somewhere on my
> system?
> Is that true.  And if so, where would that be.
>
> Thanks for any direction that may be provided to my questions..

After doing an upgrade, read ~root/upgrade.log carefully. Look for
references to files created as .rpmsave or .rpmnew. These indicate
configuration file changes that you will need to take a look at,
possibly merging in manual changes you made in the old distribution with
the changes made in the new distribution.

It's also worth doing "yum list extras" to spot any packages that are no
longer part of the distribution.

Paul.
--
Paul Howarth <paul at city-fan.org>