Forced FSCK on Bad Reboot

Mike McCarty mike.mccarty at sbcglobal.net
Thu Jul 14 18:09:28 UTC 2005

Jonathan Jefferies wrote:

> Mike McCarty wrote:
>

>> Frankly, I'd rather use write-through.
>

> I believe there are three modes that ext3 can be setup to do journelling
> one of which may be write through. Believe those modes are set at
> fdisk time.
>

>> In any case, I don't see any argument for not using an extended fsck on
>> a reboot after improper shutdown, which was my original question.
>

> Uh, on a megabyte or  10 - 30 GIG  hard drive it's a minor
> inconvenienc. Running
> fsck on a 250 GIG hard drive or worse a system which has terra byte
> systems
> is something else. Can you say major delays?
>
> J.

I guess it's a matter of how important one's data are, and
when the last backup was done. I come from a Telecom background,
where the loss of even one day's transactions can mean $100M USD
or more. Having a disc check take a few hours is nothing by
comparison with the risk of data loss in that context.

I still haven't seen an argument against having the default mode
be do an extended check.

Is there a way to change the default reboot mode?

Mike