WARNING:DO NOT UPGRADE TO CORE 4

Gordon Keehn gordonkeehn at netzero.net
Thu Jul 14 18:18:34 UTC 2005

Les Mikesell wrote:

>On Thu, 2005-07-14 at 10:28, Gene Heskett wrote:
>

>>>Usually I just do: "yum update" and if the list it shows includes
>>>yum or rpm I cancel and just get those first, then repeat for the
>>>rest of the packages.
>>>

>Sometimes I've been able to 'apt-get update; apt-get upgrade' to
>fix a yum-induced problem and sometimes I've had to do the
>opposite.

    In general I find it unwise to bootstrap an update to my update
tool.  (The exception is "rpm -Uvh rpm*.rpm".  But then, in that case
what choice do I have?)  I normally use synaptic to update my (FC4)
system, but if I find a new version of apt or synaptic in the list, I
drop out and use yum to update those packages, then restart synaptic to
repeat the upgrade.
    Cheers,
Gordon Keehn