FC4 Mouse weirdness with Cisco VPN

Andrew Mather mathera at gmail.com
Thu Jul 14 22:03:24 UTC 2005

Hi All,

I have a machine running FC4 with the latest updates (as of yesterday
morning), although this problem has been happening ever since the
machine was installed (clean install after full format incl /home).
I am using KDE as my window manager.

The machine behaves quite normally and I can use the internet, local
applications, terminal windows etc, just as you might expect for as
long as I like with no problem.

However whenever I bring up my VPN to work, which uses the Cicso VPN
client, it kills the mouse within a few seconds.  The cursor moves
over to the left hand side of the screen and won't come out.  Killing
the VPN does not restore function, I have to restart X

The VPN concentrator enforces a policy which cuts off local LAN access
while the VPN is up.  This is annoying, but done for the "right
reasons".

I have tried both generic nv and Nvidia proprietary drivers, at least
2 different kernels, killing gpm before starting X and there doesn't
appear to be any useful information in either /var/log/messages or the
Xorg.log.  It's an optical PS2 Intellimouse wheel mouse.

I'm at a total loss.

This doesn't happen on my Gentoo machine, also running KDE, yet it's
100% reproducible under FC4.

Does anyone have any ideas ?

Please !!! ?  ;-)

Is it possible that there's some kind of network communications betwen
KDE/FC4 and the mouse (which isn't there in Gentoo installations)?

If so, is there a way to work around this, or am I going to be unable
to use FC4 if I want the VPN ?

ANdrew