Xorg and VNC Errors

Joseph Green jgreen at 8x8.com
Thu Jul 14 22:05:39 UTC 2005

Tony Nelson wrote:

>At 11:55 AM -0700 7/14/05, Joseph Green wrote:
>

>>Joseph Green wrote:
>>

>>>My boss ran up2date on one of his FC3 systems (4x 2.66 GHz Xeon, 4GB
>>>memory) which had been running fine until he did that. He didn't know
>>>about yum, and I'm not exactly sure what was updated, but now when it
>>>boots, the text scrolls out like normal, but when it gets to the
>>>graphical part of the boot proccess, the screen goes black. There is
>>>no login prompt displayed and it doesn't come back at all, it just
>>>remains black (the monitor is not in power save mode either). When the
>>>system seems to be up and running, I can still SSH into it, access the
>>>website it is hosting, and use almost all of the terminal tools.
>>>However, and I'm assuming that this has to do with the X issue, I can
>>>not VNC into the box to get a remote desktop. This is the error I'm
>>>getting from VNC:
>>>

>>Some information that I had left out: for some reason I can't even
>>switch to any of the consoles (ctrl+F2 or ctrl+alt+F2) on the machine
>>either.
>>

>This could be a problem that has been reported for FC4 users, where the
>consoles are all black or mostly black with a colored border.  That one I
>think is caused by an update to libvgahw.a and cured by replacing it with
>the old "FC3" one.  Since you can still ssh into it, you might want to
>check the version of the package it came in:
>
>$ yum provides libvgahw.a
>xorg-x11.i386                            6.8.2-1.FC3.13         installed
>Matched from:
>/usr/X11R6/lib/modules/libvgahw.a

>TonyN.:'                       <mailto:tonynelson at georgeanelson.com>
>      '                              <http://www.georgeanelson.com/>

Running 'yum provides libvgahw.a" I got:

[root at webcal ~]# yum provides libvgahw.a

xorg-x11.i386                            6.8.1-12               base
Matched from:
/usr/X11R6/lib/modules/libvgahw.a

xorg-x11-sdk.i386                        6.8.1-12               base
Matched from:
/usr/X11R6/lib/Server/modules/libvgahw.a

xorg-x11-sdk.i386                        6.8.2-1.FC3.13         updates-released
Matched from:
/usr/X11R6/lib/Server/modules/libvgahw.a

xorg-x11.i386                            6.8.2-1.FC3.13         updates-released
Matched from:
/usr/X11R6/lib/modules/libvgahw.a

xorg-x11-sdk.i386                        6.8.2-1.FC3.13         installed
Matched from:
/usr/X11R6/lib/Server/modules/libvgahw.a

But when I try to update xorg-x11.i386 I get "Could not find update
match for xorg-x11.i386, No Packages marked for Update/Obsoletion". When
it says "updates-released" that means that version isn't technically
installed on the system, right? Should I remove and then re-install
xorg? Could this be a problem with trying to use up2date first and then
trying to use yum?

thank you very much for your help so far Tony and NE

 -joseph