FC4 Mouse weirdness with Cisco VPN

Andrew Mather mathera at gmail.com
Fri Jul 15 00:28:03 UTC 2005

Hi Rahul

On 7/15/05, Rahul Sundaram <sundaram at redhat.com> wrote:
> Andrew Mather wrote:
>
> >Hi All,
> >
> >I have a machine running FC4 with the latest updates (as of yesterday
> >morning), although this problem has been happening ever since the
> >machine was installed (clean install after full format incl /home).
> >I am using KDE as my window manager.
> >
> >The machine behaves quite normally and I can use the internet, local
> >applications, terminal windows etc, just as you might expect for as
> >long as I like with no problem.
> >
> >However whenever I bring up my VPN to work, which uses the Cicso VPN
> >client, it kills the mouse within a few seconds.  The cursor moves
> >over to the left hand side of the screen and won't come out.  Killing
> >the VPN does not restore function, I have to restart X
> >
> >The VPN concentrator enforces a policy which cuts off local LAN access
> >while the VPN is up.  This is annoying, but done for the "right
> >reasons".
> >

> Is this Cisco client the proprietary one or vpnc from Fedora Extras?.
> Can you try vpnc to see if this works better?

It's the Cisco one.  I wondered if the fact that the concentrator is
enforcing policies like disabling local LAN access means it won't want
to talk to any other type of client.

Our ITS guys are not very Linux friendly (well..antagonistic is
probably a better description), so I won't get any support from them.

But it's definitely worth a shot.  I'll give it a go over the weekend sometime.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Andrew