My cookies lose their magic :-(

Sam Varshavchik mrsam at courier-mta.com
Fri Jul 15 01:31:54 UTC 2005

When in an ssh connection from an FC3 box to an FC2 box, after a short time
I suddenly begin getting these:

$ emacs foo
Xlib: connection to "localhost:11.0" refused by server
Xlib: Invalid MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1 key

I must log out, then log back in with ssh, and X11 forwarding works again,
but only for a limited time.  I haven't yet measured how long my magic
lasts, but after a while attempts to start new X clients begin to fail
again, and I must log out and relogin.

This started happening after I upgraded the first box from FC2 to FC3.  When
I was ssh-ing from FC2 to FC2 everything was working.

WTF?