Earthlink not helping.

Mike McCarty mike.mccarty at sbcglobal.net
Fri Jul 15 14:46:44 UTC 2005

Lokrin wrote:

[snip]

> I'm hoping that someone here that uses Earthlink can go over the
> settings with me.  I'm on dial up 56k on the only phone line I have.
> I'm running FC2 and KDE and using Thunderbird and Firefox.  I've
> everything set up using SYSTEM SETINGS > NETWORK.  The modem should be
> configured ok, since it works with Seanet.  And everything in the
> Earthlink section (ppp1 or ppp0.  I'm using ppp2 for Seanet) looks ok
> But I'd like to double check.

You say you can log in etc. I suppose that means that you can
browse but you can't pull/send mail. IMO, that means that
dns is working. You may have problems with three (at least)
areas. You need the names or IP addresses for your POP
server and SMP server. And you need your login password
for them (which may not be the same as your IP connection
password).

I also have had problems with getting support. In fact, I've
had the cust. serv. people argue with me about what OS
I'm running. Recently, one I called asked me what version
of Windows I was running. When I replied that I don't run
Windows, he replied that I was probably running XP.
We argued back and forth, and finally I told him I use
Linux. This nearly ended our conversation. They only
support Windows and Mac. This was not Earthlink, but
another well-known ISP. So changing very likely won't
help much. Their install of service ONLY runs on
Windows or a Mac, and uses proprietary S/W on a CDROM.
The ONLY way to set up service is to use their CDROM.
I borrowed a friend's laptop with XP on it, and used it to
set up. Backed up the laptop first, then ran the install, then
reloaded the laptop.

Not really a Fedora question, but I dunno where you can get
help where it is on topic.

There needs to be an ISP interference support group on the net.

Mike