Earthlink not helping.

Mike McCarty mike.mccarty at sbcglobal.net
Fri Jul 15 14:51:17 UTC 2005

Walter Francis wrote:

>Is it not obvious?  Say you're running Windows XP, you're an expert, you
>just want the settings:
>
>dns servers, mail servers, pop servers/imap servers, news servers, etc.
>
>That's the only way to get past the numbskull OS check, similar to what
>some lame websites do.  Once you're past the OS check, everything else is
>the same, but they like to pretend it's not.

That's not quite true. Almost, but not quite. The people
on the other end of the line know where to send you and
what commands to use to set up Windows/Mac. But they
don't / can't know for Linux.

Like the fellow who argued with me that I was probably using
Windows XP after I told him I don't use Windows. Well, he's
probably taking the correct path. My sister recently told
me that she has a fried (woman at work) with whom she wanted
to share some stuff. The woman bemoaned the fact that she
got the wrong thing, and couldn't share with anybody,
because she didn't run Windows, she ran Gateway. Of course,
she had Win XP.

Mike