Open Gnome Terminal in superuser mode

Mike McCarty mike.mccarty at sbcglobal.net
Fri Jul 15 15:42:27 UTC 2005

Ankush Grover wrote:

>Hey,
>
> There is no root terminal in Gnome unlike in KDE where there is a
>root terminal.You will find
>terminal under "System Tools".If you are logged as normal user give
>"su -" at the terminal to become super user(root).
>
>Regards
>
>Ankush

I have a general *NIX admin question. Why does one want to use
su -
as opposed to just su? I think I understand the difference in regards
to "su -" actually changes you to root, as if logged in that way, as
opposed to simply granting root privilege. But why do that? If I do
that, then I lose my path settings, and can't run my normal editor, which
is in ~/bin and so on. I just use "su".

What am I missing?

Mike