Floppy written in CentOS won't mount in FC3

Jon Shorie jshorie at medinaco.org
Fri Jul 15 15:44:59 UTC 2005

> Andy Green wrote:
>
> [snip]
>
> > I mentioned it because of the "floppies are not vfat" advice which is
> > wrong.  But actually I have to stand partially corrected on ext3... I
> > just tried it on a 1.44M file and mke2fs -j complains
> >
> > Filesystem too small for a journal
> >
> > However it will create a journal on a 2.88MB filesystem, so you can
> > indeed have ext3 on a 2.88MB floppy.
> >
> > Possibly the journalling can come in handy on such a removable device.
>
> I was a little bit surprised to see that 2.88MB floppies have support.
> When I first installed Red Hat Linux 7 on an old machine, support
> for the video chips on the MB had been "neglected" since it was
> considered that they were so old no one still used them. So I had
> to go through a gruesome long drawn out process of figuring out
> what the setup was for them. I forget how many registers I had
> to describe in some long-forgotten now text file. I've only ever
> seen one 2.88MB floppy drive in my life. OOPS. I've seen two,
> but one was an over/under setup like a dual-bore shotgun/rifle.
> Were they ever used anywhere to any extent?

We have one here.  It is on an alpha running Redhat Linux 7.1.  Unfortunately,
you need ED disks to get the 2.88MB format.  IBM pushed the standard around
'93 or so with the PS/2 Model 57 and a few other boxes.

Many Alpha machines came with the drives.  I almost bought one personally back
in 94.  The drives were about twice the price of 1.44MB ones.  Most Pheonix
and AMI bios motherboards support the 2.88MB floppy.