file size limit

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Fri Jul 15 17:10:27 UTC 2005

Ian Malone wrote:
> Neil Marjoram <n.marjoram at adastral.ucl.ac.uk> wrote:
>
>  > Can someone quickly tell me the maximum file size limits for these
>  > os's
>  >
>  > RH9
>  > FC1
>  > FC2
>  > FC3
>
> Depends on the underlying filesystem.  For all of the above ext3 is the
> default.  According to
> <http://www.dataclinic.co.uk/linux-file-system-native.htm>
> 4TB is the limit for ext3.  Some other filesystems like XFS can
> support (much) more.  Google ext2/3[1], XFS, ReiserFS(4), JFS.
>
> Fat32 (used for compatibility with Windows) supports 2GB (-1kB ?)
>
> [1] AFAIAA identical except for journalling.

Also depends on what your application is set up for.  Yes, ext2/3
max filesize is 4TB, but many, many applications are not set up for
largefile support and will only support 2GB files (2^31 bytes).

<flame>
Apache guys, if you're listening...when are you going to start using
largefiles by default?  I'm sorta tired of having people call me when
apache quits because the log file is 2GB.  Logs can get bloody huge, you
know, and largefile support isn't THAT hard to put in.
</flame>
-  Time: Nature's way of keeping everything from happening at once.  -