Updating with yum -- etc

Paul Howarth paul at city-fan.org
Fri Jul 15 17:35:29 UTC 2005

Tim Holmes wrote:
> [Tim Holmes]
> The rpm's came from MySQL.com
>
> When I yum update, it trys to pull mysql 3x in as a dependency for --
> mod_auth_mysql
>
> I am not using that module, so I can exclude it,

If you're not using it, a simpler solution would be just to remove it:
# rpm -e mod_auth_mysql

Alternatively, you could satisfy the dependency by installing the
"Dynamic client libraries (including 3.23.x libraries)" rpm from
mysql.com site (package MySQL-shared-compat).

> I was just wondering if
> it was expected behavior or if something is screwed up on the system

Something's gone wrong somewhere because you shouldn't have been able to
install the MySQL RPMs without breaking the mod_auth_mysql dependency,
unless you used --force or --nodeps.

Paul.