Fedora Core 3 Update: kernel-2.6.12-1.1372_FC3

Matthew Miller mattdm at mattdm.org
Fri Jul 15 20:40:38 UTC 2005

On Fri, Jul 15, 2005 at 04:27:42PM -0400, Dave Jones wrote:
> So, I've been pondering this for an hour or so. As I mentioned in my
> other mail, it was unintentional, but how much would people scream
> at me if things stayed this way for FC3 ?
>
> It's a bit of work to put it back the way it was in earlier FC3 kernels,
> but it does mean pushing out yet another update to fix it.
>
> Given people will have to adapt to the change for FC4 anyway, is it
> going to cause huge amounts of pain to make the switch now ?
>
> Opinions?

Well, the specific thing that impacts me most is with my OpenAFS packages.
I've got a FC4/CentOS version with a much less kludgy build process using
the -devel packages, but was intending to just continue with the kludgy way
for the life of our FC3-based thing. The switch is difficult because I don't
have a great way -- short of inventing a brand new and different kludge --
of building an RPM that copes with both the old and the new.

So, keeping with the status quo would have kept my life easier. But if you
decide to keep it, I probably won't scream too much. And if it goes back
right away, okay then. But if it's one way sometimes and another way other
times, I'll have to pull all my hair out. :)