Dual boot problem -

Mike McCarty mike.mccarty at sbcglobal.net
Fri Jul 15 21:28:56 UTC 2005

Benjamin Duehring wrote:

>On Friday 15 July 2005 22:01, Bob Goodwin wrote:
>

>>I've installed, reinstalled, repartitioned and reinstalled again but no
>>matter what this computer boots only to Widows 2000 and never displays
>>Grub for FC-4.  Windows is on /dev/hda [40gig] and FC-4 on /dev/hdb
>>[10gig].  The user doesn't really need/want Linux but it will be a
>>convenience for me if I can make it work.
>>
>>Any suggestions appreciated.
>>
>>Thank you.
>>
>>Bob G
>>

>Maybe grub has been installed on the master boot record of the second hard disk (hdb). But in the bios the first disk (hda) is selected to boot from.
>If that's the case, modify your bios and change to boot order (your second hdd at first) or install grub on hda.

Do you have a dual-boot system? Do you administer it? Do you know
that this will work? Sadly, it may not, and he may wind up not being
able to boot at all.

I have a dual boot system Windows XP and FC2. I had much grief
setting it up. I still don't consider myself an expert. I withheld to give
advice, because making Windows and Linux coexist is a non-trivial
task. I have done it, and could do it again with XP, and offer advice
to people with XP. I don't venture to offer advice to someone who
uses a different version of Windows.

Mike