Humor - Just ignore

Mike McCarty mike.mccarty at sbcglobal.net
Fri Jul 15 21:51:44 UTC 2005

Q: How many Fedora Mail List Subscribers does it take to change a lightbulb?
A: 993: (ported to Fedora by Grimbold Weps [1])

    * 23 to complain to -devel about the lights being out;
    * 4 to claim that it is a configuration problem, and that such
matters really belong on -user;
    * 3 to submit bugs about it, one of which has priority "grave" and
consists only of "it's dark";
    * 1 to do an untested NMU which breaks unstable, then ask around on
#debian how to remove it five minutes later;
    * 8 to flame the bugs report submitters for not including patches in
their bugs reports;
    * 5 to complain about unstable being broken;
    * 31 to answer that it works for them, and they must have apt-get
upgraded at a bad time;
    * 1 to post a patch for a new lightbulb to -project;
    * 1 to complain that he had patches for this three years ago, but
when he sent them to -devel they were just ignored, and he has had bad
experiences with the BTS; besides, the proposed new lightbulb is
non-reflexive;
    * 73 to scream that lightbulbs do not belong in the base system,
that maintainers have no right to do things like this without prior
discussion, and WHAT IS THE RM DOING ABOUT IT!?
    * 200 to complain about the length of the release cycle;
    * 3 to point out that the patch violates policy;
    * 17 to complain that the proposed new lightbulb is not under GPL;
    * 353 to engage in a flame war about the comparative advantages of
the GPL, the BSD license, the MIT license, the NPL, and the personal
hygiene of unnamed FSF founders;
    * 7 to move various portions of the thread to -legal and -hurd;
    * 1 to upload the suggested lightbulb, even though it shines dimmer
than the old one;
    * 2 to file a furious flame of a bugs report, arguing that testing
is better off in the dark than with a dim lightbulb;
    * 46 to argue vociferously about the bugs report about the dim
lightbulb and demanding a statement from ftpmaster;
    * 11 to request a smaller lightbulb so it will fit their Tamagotchi
if we ever decide to port Debian to that platform;
    * 73 to complain about the SNR on -devel and -qa and unsubscribe in
protest;
    * 13 to post "unsubscribe", "How do I unsubscribe?", or "Please
remove me from the list", followed by the usual footer;
    * 1 to upload a working lightbulb while everybody is too busy
flaming everybody else to notice;
    * 31 to point out that the new lightbulb would shine 0.364% brighter
if compiled with processor-specific optimizations (although it will have
to be reshaped into a cube), and that Debian should therefore adapt the
gentoo "portage" system into dpkg;
    * 1 to complain that the new lightbulb lacks fairings;
    * 9 (including the bugs submitters) to ask "what is
testing-proposed-updates";
    * 75 to complain about the lights being out two weeks after the bulb
has been changed.

and for a total count of 996:

    * 1 to report whole story in -curiosa
    * 2 to comment on it