Filesystem nae weirdness in FC4

Jeff Vian jvian10 at charter.net
Fri Jul 15 22:21:29 UTC 2005

On Fri, 2005-07-15 at 15:27 -0600, kevin.kempter at dataintellect.com
wrote:
> All;
>
> I did a clean install of FC4 leaving 2 filesystems intact while re-formatting
> the others. I choose to preserve data in /stage and /download
>
> Here's my df output:
> [kkempter at Issac ~]$ df -h
> /dev/hda9             775M  245M  491M  34% /
> /dev/hda1             190M   16M  165M   9% /boot
> /dev/shm              506M     0  506M   0% /dev/shm
> /dev/hda10             11G  7.2G  2.6G  74% /download
> /dev/hda2              18G  917M   16G   6% /home
> /dev/hda5             7.7G  4.9G  2.5G  67% /stage
> /dev/hda7             2.0G   36M  1.9G   2% /tmp
> /dev/hda3              11G  4.0G  6.0G  41% /usr
> /dev/hda6             4.3G  797M  3.3G  20% /var
> /dev/sda1              56G   35G   22G  62% /media/FIRELITE
>
> It looks fine once I'm logged in however during bootup as the kernel checks
> the filesystems for errors I see messages referring to all my filesystems
> except those I did not format with a 1 apended to the name:
> /1
> /boot1
> /home1
> /var1
> etc..
>
> My concern is that if I ever have to manually run an fsck I may have bigger
> problems lurking in the shadows...

This is not weirdness.  The system saw partitions already labeled as
those you name, /, /boot, etc. and it made the labels of the new
partitions unique accordingly to avoid label conflicts which would have
prevented booting properly.

If you look in /etc/fstab you will likely see lines with the appropriate
labels for the filesystems to be mounted.
     LABEL=/1    /             ext3    defaults        1 1
would be an example.

The only place this is a factor is on boot and on mounting filesystems
using the partition labels.  If you are using ext2/3 filesystems the
command e2label will allow you to change it if you want.  Just be sure
you do not have 2 partitions with identical labels if they are used to
mount/manage the filesystems.

if you need to run fsck you would do it with the appropriate device name
( e2fsck /dev/hda1 for example ).