New thread, was do not install fc4

Jeff Vian jvian10 at charter.net
Fri Jul 15 22:32:38 UTC 2005

On Fri, 2005-07-15 at 12:08 -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:
> On Friday 15 July 2005 10:43, Ben Stringer wrote:
> >On Thu, 2005-07-14 at 14:55 -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:
> >> Back again...
> >>
> >> Ok, I tried to boot the other, older kernal.  It boots correctly
> >> to runlevel 3, and I'm logged in as root.  And ssh'd into it now
> >> also.
> >>
> >> But when I tried to startx, it fails. The last line in the
> >> Xorg.0.log
> >
> >I'd suggest you also start (at least) xfs as well. Runlevel 3 will
> > not start any services X needs, and xfs is one of those.
> >
> >Cheers, Ben
>
> Among other things, xfs was also a casualty of the update, it
> segfaults since the update was done.
>
> And, as I said in a previous post, its all moot. I gave FC4 the old
> college try, 8 total installs, 3 of which actually worked before
> turning yum loose on them.
>
> For my 9th re-install, I used a bdi-4.20 disk, which is debian sarge
> based with a 2.6 kernel and adeos for the emc required realtime
> stuff.  Other than being a stripped distro (like vim was not
> installed, but a quick run of apt-get install vim mozilla fixed my
> two main itches.
>
> I don't know what more I can say about bdi-4.20 other than it Just
> Works(TM).  Those FC4 disks, all 9 of them, are only going wherever
> the trashman hauls them.  I've wasted enough of my remaining time on
> them.

Some few people seem to have a LOT of trouble installing the various
releases of Fedora.  A lot of us (probably most) have little or no
trouble.  I often wonder how much that is affected by the choice of
hardware being used.

I for one, have had absolutely no problems in the software I routinely
use, installation goes smoothly and the system "just works".  A new
install of FC3 went without a hitch several months ago, and the same
with FC4 (4 installs) in the last month.

FC4 even works without a hitch in my Dell Inspiron laptop. (Everything
except the built-in winmodem which I don't need anyway.)