A little wireless/ndiswrapper help

Jeff Vian jvian10 at charter.net
Fri Jul 15 23:05:43 UTC 2005

On Fri, 2005-07-15 at 10:54 -0400, James Pifer wrote:
> I have ndiswrapper installed and configured and everything seems to be
> working correctly. I can run the following commands without a problem
> and I can scan the wireless networks.
>
> /sbin/modprobe ndiswrapper
> /sbin/iwconfig wlan0 mode Managed
> /sbin/iwconfig wlan0 key restricted my_key
> /sbin/iwconfig wlan0 essid my_essid
> /sbin/dhclient wlan0
>
> I can bring down and bring up the wireless adapter using:
> /sbin/ifconfig wlan0 [down][up]
>
> The problem is I can't get an ip address and the router does not show
> the client connected.
> I was using MAC filtering, but I have disabled that to rule it out.
> DHCP runs on a separate linux box, not on my wireless router.
> I have a windows machine that connects ok and gets an IP address.
>
> My router is a DLink DI624.
> I'm running FC4 on a HP Compaq nx9110.
> The wireless card is:
> 02:02.0 Network controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM4306 802.11b/g
> Wireless LAN Controller (rev 03)
>
> Any suggestions?

It looks like you are using encryption.  What happens if you change
     /sbin/iwconfig wlan0 key restricted my_key
     /sbin/iwconfig wlan0 key my_key

When I have this sort of problem I start with the least restrictive
configuration where I can get a connection, then add the restrictions so
I can tell which causes a problem (if any).