FC4 -- finding the right sound setup?

William Case billlinux at rogers.com
Sat Jul 16 01:17:44 UTC 2005

Hi;

I have been having trouble setting up my sound so that it works
properly.  I have reams of detail which I will share with anybody who
can help.  But for now, I just got the following error message when I
ran system-config-soundcard from the command line rather than as gui:

 ~]$ system-config-soundcard
amixer: Unable to find simple control 'PCM-2',0

amixer: Unable to find simple control 'DRC Range',0

Playing WAVE '/usr/share/system-config-soundcard/sound-sample.wav' :
Signed 16 bit Little Endian, Rate 44100 Hz, Stereo

I am using an Ensoniq 5880 AudioPCI soundcard.  I can't get any of my
sound programs (tvtimes, Audacity etc.) to recognize PCM on ALSA.  I
will save you from the whole tale of woe.  But ...

What does the above error message mean in practical terms? And, how do I
begin to chase down a solution?

Regards Bill