Sound in KDE FC4

Steven W. Orr steveo at syslang.net
Sat Jul 16 02:03:02 UTC 2005

On Saturday, Jul 16th 2005 at 11:46 +1000, quoth david walcroft:

=>Hi
=> I still seem to have problems in getting Alsa to work with KDE,OSS
=>works ok but Alsa brings up an error that "device: default can't be opened for
=>playback (Permission denied)" when starting in Sound System.
=>
=>I tried this "cat /usr/share/sounds/KDE_Startup.wav > /dev/dsp"
=>and returned distortion and screeching.
=>
=>Any ideas as to what is going on please
=>
=>  david

I'm on a system that works fine from an audio perspective and there are
some files that sound fine if I redirect them to /dev/dsp. The one you
chose is *not* one of them.

Here's one that does work:

532 > file  /usr/games/chromium/data/wav/boom.wav
/usr/games/chromium/data/wav/boom.wav: RIFF (little-endian) data, WAVE
audio, Microsoft PCM, 8 bit, mono 11025 Hz
533 >

And here's one that doesn't:

531 > file  /usr/share/sounds/KDE_Startup.wav
/usr/share/sounds/KDE_Startup.wav: RIFF (little-endian) data, WAVE audio,
Microsoft PCM, 16 bit, mono 22050 Hz

The proper test should be to use the play program to handle whatever
conversions are needed.

Also, I'm not an expert on this subject, but my understanding is that .au
files are always the lowest common denominator file type and that
/dev/audio is always the lowest common denominator audio device. (If I'm
wrong, someone please correct^H^H^H^H^H^H^Heducate me.

steveo at syslang.net