FC3 - vmware not working after upgrade to kernel and kernel-devel 2.6.12-1.1372_FC3

Gerald Thompson geraldlt at gmail.com
Sat Jul 16 02:47:38 UTC 2005

- initially I was having trouble finding the sources after upgrading to
kernel-2.6.12-1.1372_FC3
- I could not install the nvidia driver or vmware module without the
sources
- I found that in the new kernel the sources were now in kernel-
devel-2.6.12-1.1372_FC3

I did a test installing kernel-devel
- nvidia driver is now able to install and it works fine
- still having problems with vmware
- vmware is able to build the kernel module now and install it
- bridged networking won't enable - constantly failed state
- also if vmware is installed I was unable to reboot the computer
- the system would only work properly after I uninstalled vmware, net
vmware networking components seem to conflict with the new kernel, or I
may have corrupted settings somewhere that I haven't located yet.

Current Problem:
- So now my situation is that vmware can build the module
- the module appears to install correctly
- bridged networking fails to start
- when I try to run vmware it says it is not configured correctly and
that I have to run /usr/bin/vmware-config.pl
- when I run it again it says the module is fine
- when I try to restart the computer it fails to shutdown - it times out
and just sits there
- I can't see where it is failing because I am not getting to see the
shutdown messages after upgrading the new kernel.
- on boot up it continues to say that vmware bridged networking has
failed or that vmware is not configured properly
- I decided to try telinit 3 so I could see the shut down messages
- the computer seems to be locking up on shutting down system logger
- if I uninstall vmware the computer is able to reboot properly.

I was wondering if anyone else was having a problem like this, I am
thinking that there may be a corrupted file for the vmware configuration
somewhere on the system.  It may have resulted from my switching back
and forth between kernels while I was trying to determine the issue with
kernel-devel

I do use rpm to install vmware, so I was able to use rpm to erase it
too.

I would appreciate any suggestions anyone may have.

--
Gerald Thompson
geraldlt at gmail.com