FC4 Grub install problems

Timothy Murphy tim at birdsnest.maths.tcd.ie
Sat Jul 16 12:48:41 UTC 2005

Tamer Higazi wrote:

> Is SATA also be treaten as IDE ?! I thought it is treaten as SCSI....
>
> It is only a suggestion. If it is treaton on the linux box as scsi, then
> the devices are numbered from /dev/sd0 to ....

>> > I just installed FC4 i386_x64 onto a system with 2 IDE drives (ntfs)
>> > and
>> > 2 SATA drives.  The system is set to boot from the first SATA drive in
>> > the BIOS which I installed fedora to.  The upgrade FC3 -> FC4 appeared
>> > to go well except for the installation of grub.  System ran great with
>> > FC3.
>> >
>> > When trying to boot all I get is "GRUB" no prompt or anything.  Booting
>> > from the DVD in rescue mode, mounting the installed FC4 and running
>> > grub, things appear to not work right.  At the grub prompt I cannot get
>> > any of the TAB completions.
>> >
>> > With the old installation grub referenced (hd0,0) now it seems that it
>> > is (hd2,0).  It seems that all of the proper files are located in the
>> > boot partition.
>> >
>> > should I:
>> > - edit the /boot/grub.grub.conf to refer to (hd2,0)
>> > - issue grub commands:
>> >    GRUB> root (hd2,0)
>> >    GRUB> setup (hd2)

Not sure if this is relevant,
but I had a similar problem on a machine with two SCSI disks
and a large IDE disk which I had added for archiving.
FC-4 seemed to give my IDE disk precedence,
although the BIOS looked at my SCSI disk first.

My problem was solved just by saying

        grub-install --recheck /dev/sda

However, this may not be relevant to your situation.

--
Timothy Murphy
tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366