Cdrecord dvd-r dl on Sony DR-720A ??

William W. Austin waustin at speakeasy.net
Sat Jul 16 20:15:06 UTC 2005

I'm having a bit of a problem with a new dvd recorder - supposedly it
does double layer (8.5gb/disc) using dvd-r dl (or r+).  And having
tried the drive on a windoze system, it actually works.

However on Linux (I bought the drive to put on my linux box, not my
wife's windze box), it records normal dvd-r with no problems - the dvds
read just fine on every platform I've tried.  BUT dvd dl records but
comes out as an expensive coaster - total junk.  No system I've tried
can read it.

When recording - no underruns, etc. - ideal conditions and no problems.

The only clue I'm getting is that when I start the burn process with a
DVD-R DL (not DVD+R DL) blank, the system hangs forever before printing
the line "Device seems to be: Generic mmc2 DVD-R/DVD-RW." and then
again hangs for quite a while before starting the burn.

I even tried making up a disk with about 200 K of files on it - same
exact situation.

Strangely if I use k3b - I can't record anything on a dvd-r dl blank.
(I only had 2 dvd+r dl blanks to try and have not bought any more for
the k3b test...)

Anybody have a clue?  I'm running on FC3 with kernel-2.6.11-1.35_FC3,
cdrecord-2.01.1-5, and all of the most recent patches.  I've done web
searches but haven't found anything about this problem (I'm assuming
for now that it is a local problem).

Any suggestions/clues/URL's etc. on this one would be *greatly*
appreciated.  (If there has already been a discussion about this on the
list, I have missed it and couldn't find it in my mail archives ...
sorry.)

Thanks,

william w austin                                  waustin at speakeasy.net
  "Life is just another phase I'm going through. this time, anyway ..."