password limits of 8 characters on FC4

Gregory P. Ennis PoMec at PoMec.Net
Sun Jul 17 00:03:03 UTC 2005

Everyone,

I noticed a difference with my passwords on FC4 compared to FC1 and FC3.
It appears that there is a limit of 8 characters on FC4 that was not
present on FC1 or FC3.  Also, my FC4 system does did not recognize the
difference in passwords between anyname1234 and anyname1.  It appears
that password matching occurs with only the first 8 characters.

I looked for some kind of parameter file that controls the length of the
password but could not find one.

Is this a bug or a design limitation of FC4?  Can any of you tell me how
to expand this 8 character limit?

Greg Ennis