password limits of 8 characters on FC4

Sam Varshavchik mrsam at courier-mta.com
Sun Jul 17 01:35:00 UTC 2005

Gregory P. Ennis writes:

> On Sat, 2005-07-16 at 20:07 -0400, Sam Varshavchik wrote:
>
>> Run 'authconfig'.
>>
>> You should have both “Use MD5 Passwords” and “Use Shadow Passwords” checked
>> under the “Authentication” section.
>> --
> Sam,
>
> Thanks for helping.  I ran authconfig and both MD5 and Shadow are
> checked.  I did not see any parameter for the length of the password in
> authconfig!
>
> Any other ideas?

Traditional crypted passwords that use DES are limited to eight characters
due to the built-in nature of the DES algorithm.  MD5 passwords can be of
any length.

It looks like for some reason you're using DES to encrypt your passwords,
when you should be using MD5.

Your /etc/pam.d/system-auth file should include:

password    sufficient    /lib/security/$ISA/pam_unix.so nullok use_authtok md5 shadow

And your /etc/pam.d/passwd file should contain:

password   required     pam_stack.so service=system-auth

Perhaps something overwrote various files in your /etc/pam.d directory.