FC4 boot.log no longer being written to

Jim Cornette fc-cornette at insight.rr.com
Sun Jul 17 01:47:26 UTC 2005

Matthew Saltzman wrote:

> On Sat, 16 Jul 2005, Jim Cornette wrote:
>
>> Ben Roberts wrote:
>>
>>> /var/log/dmesg provides different information to what is
>>> contained in the usual boot.log file under FC2 or FC3 though ???
>>>
>>> I am concerned because boot.log is a valuable source of
>>> information, and since upgrading to FC4 it hasn't been updated,
>>> despite a fair few reboots while configuring the system etc.... I
>>> was wondering if I've removed some rpm package that was needed to
>>> facilitate the writing of boot.log whilst purging my system of
>>> unneeded packages ??
>>>

>> I read this log on occasion also. It quit working on my systemand I
>> assumed the same thing. Anomther person who upgraded from FC3 to FC4
>> mentioned the same problem with no more boot logs.
>

> I checked, out of curiosity, as I have a fresh FC4 install.
> /var/log/boot.log contains only messages about /sbin/dhclient-script
> updating /etc/resolv.conf.  Otherwise, it's empty.

Messages regarding dhclient are also all that I see in the boot.log. I
didn't mention the /sbin/dhclient messages because I ran dhclient to try
to get my stock kernel to get my network running. It is useful
information to know that at least the log is useful to resolve ethernet
connection problems? My Installation is  an upgrade, so I guess the
problem is not unique to upgrades vs. fresh installations.

Jim