scanModem, Fedora Core release 3 (Heidelberg), Kernel kernel 2.6.11-1.35_FC3

M.Hockings veeshooter at hockings.net
Sun Jul 17 04:46:34 UTC 2005

taharka wrote:
> M.Hockings wrote:
>

>> I am trying to get a ltmodem driver going for my computer.  The
>> machine is an older P400 IBM Aptiva that came with an internal
>> v90/fax/voice modem.  Now that the machine has Fedora Core 3 installed
>> the modem is identified as an "unknown device" with the name "LT Win
>> Modem". The pnpdump tool identifies it as "GVC5719/1710593[0] {LT Win
>> Modem}". Looking at the hardware it is an ISA card with a big black
>> plastic shroud over most of the card.  The scanModem output is at the
>> bottom of the note.
>>
>> <snip>
>

> If you must use an internal modem with Unix/Linux & you have a free pci
> slot, yank that ISA winmodem. Replace with a "Multi-Tech Systems, Inc."
> pci Unix/Linux certified modem. Headaches will be long gone ;-)
> Website; www.multitech.com
>
> taharka
>
> Lexington, Kentucky U.S.A.

Yup, looked at them and they do sound good.  Actually I meant to send
this off to the linmodem crowd but my fingers have been very fat. Right
now I'm just trying to get some modem to work with what we have until I
can get the nod to purchase something better.  This one is now almost
working, it talks to wvdial but just isn't yet going off hook.

Mike