Why use "su -" rather than "su"

Steven C. Liu sliu at steven-c-liu.com
Sun Jul 17 16:55:36 UTC 2005

Any idea what is causing this?  I use gnome, and I think it's gdm.conf.  I
also tried editing /etc/profile by using pathmunge() on /usr/local/bin and
/usr/local/sbin with $2 = "after", and it did not work (after sourcing
/etc/profile).  Oddly - that should have worked for that root shell I was
using.  (I'm logged in as root.)

I have not yet edit the gdm.conf file because I don't yet wish to restart my
GUI environment.

Steve