Problem with HD

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Mon Jul 18 01:03:13 UTC 2005

On Sunday 17 July 2005 10:29, Bruno wrote:
>I don't know what hapen in my Fedora Core 4, i have it installed,
> and the system don't know the my HD of 120 GB, this is the result
> of the following commands:
>
># fdisk -l /dev/hda
>
>Disk /dev/hda: 120.0 GB, 120034123776 bytes
>255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 14593 cylinders
>Units = cilindros of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes
>
>Dispositivo Boot      Start         End      Blocks   Id  System
>/dev/hda1   *           1       14527   116688096   83  Linux
>/dev/hda2           14528       14592      522112+  82  Linux swap /
>Solaris
>

># dmesg | grep hda
>
>Kernel command line: ro root=/dev/hda1 rhgb quiet
>    ide0: BM-DMA at 0xac00-0xac07, BIOS settings: hda:DMA, hdb:DMA
>hda: ST3120022A, ATA DISK drive
>hda: max request size: 1024KiB
>hda: 234441648 sectors (120034 MB) w/2048KiB Cache,
> CHS=16383/255/63, UDMA(100)
>hda: cache flushes supported
> hda: hda1 hda2
>ReiserFS: hda1: found reiserfs format "3.6" with standard journal
>ReiserFS: hda1: using ordered data mode
>ReiserFS: hda1: journal params: device hda1, size 8192, journal
> first block 18, max trans len 1024, max batch 900, max commit age
> 30, max trans age 30
>ReiserFS: hda1: checking transaction log (hda1)
>ReiserFS: hda1: Using r5 hash to sort names
>

># df -h
>
>/dev/hda1              30G   29G  379M  99% /
>/dev/shm              252M     0  252M   0% /dev/shm
>

>If you look, the system know the HD is 120 GB, but the df not ready
> ok, and when i run a copy to the disk, i recive the mensage disk
> full, but the system dont't know the 120 BG, only know the 30 GB.
>Someone can help me with this problem.
>
>My hardware is:
>
>120 GB HD Seagate
>AMD Sempron 2.2 GHz
>512 Mb DDR 4000
>ECS Motherboard KT600-A ( with the last firmware )

I'd guess offhand that this is a reiserfs problem.  Possibly a
miss-match between reiserfs versions?  I'd say its a file system size
limit, but I have NDI what limit would show up at 30GB.  I also know
less than nothing about reiserfs, the last time I tangled with it we
lost nearly 20GB of graphics at the tv station when the volume went
sour and at that point, several years ago, there was no recovery
tools for reiserfs.  We reformatted to ext3, and spent the next month
reinventing all the graphics we lost.  They were part and parcel of
our news operations, so that was a $10k hit, and reiserfs
hasn't been allowed on the premises since.  That said, I'm sure its
better now, but I'd do my testing on something that I had solid
backups available for.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)