NTFS

Jonathan Berry berryja at gmail.com
Mon Jul 18 03:22:55 UTC 2005

On 7/17/05, Jeff Falter <jfalter at meer.net> wrote:
> On Mon, 2005-07-18 at 02:37 +0530, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> > Hi
> >

> > > When I run Desktop || System Setting || Network on the GNOME toolbar
> > > and try to add a a new wireless device, a box called "Select Wireless
> > > Device" comes up which only lists "Other wireless card." When I select
> > > this, a box comes up which says "Select Ethernet Adapter" with a list
> > > of adapter types but none of which I recognize as equivalent to my
> > > Dell Wireless card.
> >
> > whats the output of lspci. One would need to know the exact model to
> > suggest something
> >
> > regards
> > Rahul
> >

> I have not used the lspci command before; I am not sure which
> information from it would be most helpful.
> Here is the output from lspci -bvv:
[snip]
> 02:02.0 Network controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM4309 802.11a/b/g
> (rev 03)
>         Subsystem: Dell Truemobile 1450 MiniPCI
>         Control: I/O- Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr-
> Stepping- SERR+ FastB2B-
> <MAbort- >SERR- <PERR-
>         Latency: 32
>         Interrupt: pin A routed to IRQ 11
>         Region 0: Memory at faffc000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable)

Here is your wireless card.  The bad news is that this is a Broadcom
wireless card and so is not supported natively by Linux.  The good
news is that this card generally works fairly well with ndiswrapper
<http://ndiswrapper.sourceforge.net/> (I have a BCM4306 that works
great with ndiswrapper).  You can even get the packages with yum from
Livna if you prefer.  You should be able to use the stock Fedora
kernel since this card seems to play nice with the default 4k stacks.
Setting up ndiswrapper should be fairly straight forward.  You can get
a known good driver from here:
http://ndiswrapper.sourceforge.net/mediawiki-1.4.6/index.php/List
List entry #36 looks like the one you want.  There should be some
instructions on this in the archives, so you might check there if you
need help.  Of course, feel free to mail the list if you run into
problems.

Jonathan