Most common and uncommon installation method for Acrobat Reader

Samartha user332feden at samartha.net
Mon Jul 18 13:30:03 UTC 2005

Hello,

I am having an argument with a co-worker about how the Acrobat Reader is
commonly installed on Linux Systems and like to have your input on this.

Here is my point of view:

Acrobat Reader comes on most purchasable Linux distribution installation
media and can be installed in this case running the specific
administration interface under root where it will be installed on a
default file system location.

Another common method is downloading from Adobe's Web site.

Two options are possible:  RPM and .tar.gz

Most commonly, one would download the RPM for convenience reasons and
then do a rpm -i ... under root unless the browser pops up a default
installer dialog.

When the .tar.gz version is selected, one would extract the archive and
then run under root the ./INSTALL choosing the default selections
offered there.

As an exception, one would choose a non-default location ( under /opt or
/usr/local), maybe to run two versions parallel and then maybe link from
/usr/bin/acroread.new to the new install location.

Maybe, in a non-standard way, for development purposes, one would
install under a user's home directory.

My guess is that it's much less than 5 % of all Linux installations of
Acrobat Reader possibly doing this.

Now, my co-worker proclaims that this (under a user's home directory) is
the common method to install Acrobat Reader under Linux and this opinion
is percolated up the management hierarchy.

I don't even want to start speculating for the underlying reasons here.

I appreciate your comments on this. Maybe I am off, who knows?

If that's a too global question - where did your install it, if you did?

Thank you,

Samartha

``