Rhythmbox going wild on speedstep frequency change?

Klaasjan Brand klaasjan at gmail.com
Mon Jul 18 14:28:32 UTC 2005

Hi,

I'm running FC4 (updated from FC3) on an Acer Travelmate 8000 laptop.
Since the upgrade, I've switched from cpufreqd to the Fedora-supplied
cpuspeed service. The CPU runs from 600MHz without load to 1600MHz
when under load.

I'm using Rhythmbox as a music player. What happens sometimes after
I've upgraded is that Rhythmbox starts playing garbled music at random
intervals. Stopping and restarting the music stops the garbed sound,
but it changes into silence. Using the seek bar in rhythmbox to rewind
starts the music again. The mp3/ogg files are not corrupt. Since I've
got the CPU frequency applet installed it seems it's occurs only (but
not always) when the CPU changes frequency.

I'm not quite sure how to diagnose the exact component problem. It
could be the ACPI cpufreq driver, ALSA or Rhythmbox/gstreamer... I'm
interested in hearing is anyone noticed this too before I report it as
a bug.

Klaasjan