Odd "sensors" output

Philip Prindeville philipp_subx at redfish-solutions.com
Mon Jul 18 17:26:53 UTC 2005

Ashley M. Kirchner wrote:

>    Now that I have compared two machines (through dmidecode), I've
> verified the motherboards to be identical.  However, when I run
> 'sensors' on one machine, I get the full output I'm expected to get
> (voltage, temperatures, fan speeds, memory modules and others.)
> However, on the other machine, it only displays the memory module
> information.  I've re-ran 'sensors-detect' and made sure all the
> modules are being loaded and compared all the config files.
> Everything matches ... except the output.  Anyone have any ideas on
> how to even begin to diagnose this problem?

Did you compare the output of "lspci -v -n" and the /etc/modprobe.conf
files?

Sometimes manufacturers will swap out minor logic on motherboards if the
chips are more or less similar (or the differences can be compensated
for via
a PAL)...  So the same model MB isn't guaranteed to be exactly identical.
Especially if the rev numbers on the boards are different.

Are your BIOS settings the same, also?

-Philip