Where is raw?

Mariano Lopez Reta mlreta at datafull.com
Mon Jul 18 20:12:43 UTC 2005

Dave Jones wrote:

>On Mon, Jul 18, 2005 at 04:36:18PM -0300, Mariano Lopez Reta wrote:
> > Hello, all.
> >
> > I use raw devices for my database engines, and I cannot locate the raw
> > command in FC4. Does anyone know where is it?
>
>Deprecated for some time.  Applications should be using O_DIRECT
>
>		Dave

Hmmmmm. How to make Informix use raw devices? Previously, you only had
to do a 'raw /dev/chardevice /dev/raw/rawX'. And then map the Informix
engine to use /dev/raw/rawX and give it the offset. How is this
accomplished now? Should I use mknod, and create the character device?

Also, it has not been deprecated on RedHat Enterprise 4. If not
available on FC4, then I will have to move to RHEL4 (and pay for it!).

Thanks,

--
Mariano López Reta
Tortuguitas, Buenos Aires