Dual boot problem -

Mike McCarty mike.mccarty at sbcglobal.net
Tue Jul 19 00:30:09 UTC 2005

Tony Nelson wrote:

>At 8:18 PM -0400 7/15/05, Bob Goodwin wrote:
>

>>I tried manipulating the BIOS settings and I know that wont do it.
>>
>>In the past I installed Windows first and then the Linux installation took
>>care of the Lilo/Grub installation and it "just worked,"  But not so this
>>time with Windows 2000 and FC-4!  Obviously I am missing something in
>>the installation routine but don't know what I'm doing wrong?
>>

>ISTM that you have the Linux set up for grub, but just aren't booting from
>it, but from MSWindows booting stuff instead.  If you want to make the
>least possible change to your installation, and to the machine's normal
>user, I suggest adding a new choice to the (presumably, hopefully) already
>existing MSWindows boot.ini to chain to grub.  This can be done by copying
>the Linux bootsector to a file on MSWindows, call it linux.bin, and adding
>a line to boot.ini like:
>
>C:\linux.bin="Fedora Linux"
>
>Also make sure that the timeout is big enough to use.
>
>The devil is in the details.  Probably the MSWindows disk is using NTFS.
>It will be hard for either OS to work with the other's filesystem.
>Probably what I'd fumble my way through would be to use the Rescue CD to
>mount a floppy and run the dd command to copy the bootsector to a file;
>then I'd reboot into MSWindows and copy the file from the floppy onto C:
>and modify the boot.ini file.
>
>If boot.ini doesn't exist (?) there is a control-panel like thing in My
>Computer (? not running MSWindows at the moment) for editing it, and it
>might be able to create it and install any other needed files.  That would
>save grovelling around on the MS web site.  In my case, I was already
>dual-booting WinXP and Win98.

I'm use a dual-boot system with Windows XP and Linux, using GRUB.
I'm not expert enough in Windows 2000 to give the guy any advice, but
I do know how I did it with XP, and what you suggest is exactly how.

There is a special tool to edit BOOT.INI which can be used by anyone
with ADMIN privilege. I logged into XP as Owner and did the change
using that tool, and dd to get a copy of GRUB into a file.

Mike