Understanding DMA/NoDMA options and fixes

Paul Howarth paul at city-fan.org
Tue Jul 19 06:52:58 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-07-18 at 21:02 -0500, John Best wrote:
> I think I asked this before , but I am still not satisfied with the
> answer...
>
> I have had to boot with the nodma option since FC3...   I have not had
> issues doing this, but I wonder if I am getting the performance I should
> by disabling the dma option (I have seen posts that have pointed that
> nodma can reduce linux performance on some machines).   The question
> that I have not resolved is what can I do about it?????

The ide=nodma option is usually suggested as a workaround for mediacheck
problems during installation; systems installed that way will have the
same option configured in grub but it *may* not be necessary for normal
operation. Does your system work if you boot without that option?

Paul.
--
Paul Howarth <paul at city-fan.org>