Safe way to remove old kernels

Matthew Miller mattdm at mattdm.org
Tue Jul 19 12:17:30 UTC 2005

On Tue, Jul 19, 2005 at 02:18:09AM -0400, Claude Jones wrote:
> > yum-utils is new, so it's no surprise it's not widely known.
> Matthew, could you supply a source for some documentation? I installed it,
> but can't seem to find any way to use it. I'm especially interested in
> running the 'problems' capability. I tried all the ways to get
> documentation on the local machine, and searched on google, but all I
> could find were download sites...

I see there were a zillion answers pointing you to the README. :)

These utilities really need man pages. And, as I think about it, the user
interface to package-cleanup is kind of inconsistent with that of yum
itself. Like "yum install", "yum info", etc., it has various different modes
of operation, but they're selected with "--" options. So, to run the
problems-check, you do:

  package-cleanup --problems

Whereas "package-cleanup showproblems" would probably be more consistent.