addon applications with Fedora 4 - success and failure

RLLOYDNAVE123 at wmconnect.com RLLOYDNAVE123 at wmconnect.com
Tue Jul 19 15:44:46 UTC 2005

I am searching for open source multimedia and 3-graphic tools and software
development tools that will run with Fedora 4 linux.

I have been seeing some apparent problems with applications that ran with
older versions of Fedora that will no longer run with Fedora 4.
The problem may be associated with using GCC 4.0 , although I am not sure.

In any case here is a list of free applications that I have tried to install
so far.

Successes -
  Borland Java Builder - free version
   Audacity - sound editor
   Argo UML   - universal model language tool
   Flight Gear -  airplane simulator
   OpenScenegraph - 3-D graphics tool set
    SGI Performer - 3-D graphics  - limited free demo version
    MainActor - video editor - limited free demo version
    xine  - DVD player

Failures -
  Blender 3-D editor - compiles but does not seem to work properly.
  Open Scene graph Editor  - will not compile under GCC 4.0
  Virtual Terrain Builder  - will not compile under GCC 4.0
   Timidity - Midi player - compiles but will not play midi files ,
                  does not create timidity.cfg file.
                  It appears that "sound fonts" are missing.

  Also the built in  kmidi  player does not generate any sound output.
  I have upgraded the Fedora kernel and installed the latest version of alsa,
  but it does not seem to fix the midi problem.

  Borland kylix   - I have not had any success with this C++ development tool
  since I upgraded from Fedora1. There are rumors that Borland
  may release an upgrade to kylix  , but the rumors may have no substance.

  Has any one had success with any of the applications listed above??

   So far the audacity sound editor is the only one that I have actually used
   for anything. It seems to work well and I would recommend it.

    I have had extensive difficulties with missing dependency libraries ,
    and incompatible versions that generate undefined linker and run time
    symbols. Overall there seems to be a lot of incompatibilities with
    source packages that were built for versions of linux other than Fedora 4.