grub segmentation fault when trying to do setup.

John Muir muirj at nortel.com
Tue Jul 19 19:42:34 UTC 2005

With FC4, or FC3, I get a segmentation fault in grub when I try to
install with the following configuration:

/dev/hda:
   1    0.031       14998.183   primary   ntfs  (windows)
   3    14998.184   15257.043   primary   xfs   (/boot)
   4    15257.043   16284.638   primary   linux-swap   (swap for
suspend-to-disk)
   2    16284.639   76316.594   primary   lvm

The root file-system is in the lvm partition (hda2). The boot loader
goes into MBR.

It didn't occur to me until now that the partition minor numbers are out
of order relative to their position on disk; I can try reordering them.

Anyways, the above results in a crash of grub when trying to install the
boot loader during the install and when using the Fedora rescue mode. I
had to use Knoppix to install the boot loader instead.

Has anyone else seen this?

John.

--
John Muir